25 August 2010

Growing Older in Australia

Throughout my life, I have often preferred the company of older people. My husband is several years older than I am. My grandparents were a big part of my childhood and younger years. As an Australian, I am part of a society with more senior members than many others and this is something very pleasant to someone like me who likes a quieter, slower pace to life.






I often find it more stressful to be around young people rather than those of more mature years. Children and young adults rarely show awareness of the boundaries I now find comfortable. Many children also experience a great deal of stress in their childhoods:

Childhood stress leads to adult ill health - BBC article


My husband will soon be the same age as my grandfather George was when the above photograph was taken. We are glad we do not have any children of our own, and no grandchildren to worry about as the climate changes and human and other life forms compete for dwindling resources.

The most important assets we can offer future generations are not material ones. Our accumulated knowledge, linked to the knowledge of past generations, is the most we will be able to offer after meeting our own needs over a lifetime. It is one of the reasons why I write blogs.

One scenario of Australia's future

We can never predict the future, even with a wealth of knowledge about demographics, economics, and the natural and health sciences. My hope is that through quieter living and Quieter Living, I may make a contribution towards helping people of all ages to lead less stressful, more peaceful and more healthy lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment