25 October 2009

Sublime Musical Moments

.
Sometimes our sense of peace can be enhanced by particular sounds, especially sublime musical sounds.

A little while ago on my Continual Journeys blog, I mentioned two songs by Gustav Mahler that I particularly like. Today, I thought I'd make three links to them on You Tube so that you can experience them for yourself (especially if you have not heard them before). You may then feel in the mood to buy several performances of the songs on cd.


There are three links here because the first two have English subtitles, which are quite helpful. The words are sung in German... beautifully:

Liebst du um Schönheit - sung by Australian mezzo soprano Yvonne Minton

Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen
- sung by German baritone Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen - sung by the late, great English contralto Kathleen Ferrier

There is another song (or rather art song in English, or lieder in German) that I particularly like. It is by Franz Schubert: An Die Muzik. I made a couple of links regarding this song back in July. The special recording mentioned there is again by Kathleen Ferrier. Her version of the song always makes me cry.

Here is a link to Staying Centred - my blog post of 6 July.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment